Friday, August 9, 2013

Forgiveness

Most of us have heard or read the story in Matthew 21, when Peter asked Jesus:

 “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?”
Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times."

But, lets just face it. As sinners, we're just not always very good at it. Satan weasles his grubby little self into our hearts and thoughts. We find it hard to forgive,  and we want revenge. We want to see the other person suffer for what we perceived as them "wronging us"
I'm here to tell you that forgiveness is hard. I've fought it tooth and nail many times.
We hear lies from the world around us about "sweet revenge"

When I was in high school one of my very dear friends went through a very rough time. Her father, who by all definition of the word was a "model christian" had an affair and left her family.  Her mother fought for their marriage for quite some time despite the circumstances.
They eventually divorced. On THE day that he remarried, her mother woke up to an email from his mistress. It was nasty and from my understanding basically said that she had "won" and stole her husband.
I will never forget what my friend said next. Her mother sent a reply to this email. This is what it said,

"I forgive you."

I have chills every time I think about this story. As a married woman, my heart breaks and my spirit weeps for my friends mother. I can't imagine going through what she did. But what an AMAZING testimony to her love for Christ.

I recently messaged my friend and told her that 10 years later, her moms story helped me  to forgive someone for something that was long overdue.  She sent a message back saying she didn't even actually remember when she told me the story, but it made her very emotional to know that God was still working through that terrible time in her life.

Forgive. Give it to God. Dont seek revenge. Its not our place.
Romans 12 says,
"Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord."

I trust the God I serve to take care of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment