Sunday, November 27, 2011

A different kind of Christmas

I know I have mentioned before that we are very thankful for the church we have found here. But I just wanted to share a little story with you about how good God has been.

So Tedd and I have decided to go all Dave Ramsey Style. If you do not know who the man is, for goodness sakes google him. You will be glad you did! In doing so, we have decided to make some "sacrifices" this Christmas. Normally this time of year would be all about Christmas lists and shopping trips. Who's name you drew for which family gathering, etc etc.

This year we've decided to only get gifts for our parents. That's it. No one else. Not even each other. There will be a Christmas Tree. (more on that in a different post) We are living within our means. I have yet to acquire many Christmas decorations. Okay to be completely honest, I can literally count them on one hand.

When we decided this, I felt good about the decision. After all Christmas is not supposed to be about gifts, business, and guilt. But I knew that it was going to be different, and that perhaps it might be a little uncomfortable.

I promise...I'm getting to the point. Today at Church the Sunday School started a new 4 week lesson called "The Advent Conspiracy". You can go to the website, http://ac.wcrossing.org/
Its going to mean something different to everyone. Worshiping fully, spending less and giving more are the main focus'. Its not really that profound. Its what Christmas should be about. It never ceases to amaze me how God "plops" something into our lap just when we need it most. :)

I am really hoping that as we "de-commercialize" our Christmas, we can get back to the real meaning. I went from being a little down to very excited about the possibilities of what God may do in our lives during this time. I'll keep you updated on how things go!

3 comments:

  1. If you don't mind me asking, what church do you go to? We need to find a good one here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure! We go to Church of God Saint Robert. Its only about 5 minutes from our house on post. CGSR.org :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I'll check out the site!
    :)

    ReplyDelete