Monday, March 8, 2010

"Airbrushed" Life....

I follow facebook, and blogs and occasionally a tabloid or two (i know its terrible). I'm not an avid daily reader like some, but I do read them when I get the chance. I do enjoy reading about and seeing what other people are doing. I love the contrast in the groups that I follow. BUT it also sometimes creates a few different feelings. Let me put this into perspective.

There is SO much focus on body image and self confidence today in young girls. We read weekly about how little girls see pictures in magazines of anorexic models and think that is what "beautiful" is. They see these airbrushed, fake photographs and begin to think this is "normal". These woman don't have love handles, jiggly thighs, or flat butts....OH WAIT. Many of them DO have flaws, but the wonderful world of technology buffs them out to make them look perfect.

Even though we know that this is not normal, why does it still make us feel bad that we can not achieve those size 2 standards?

Ok where am I going with this????? Sometimes I feel that way about blogging/facebook/internet. Sometimes I find myself reading blogs and facebook updates only to feel like poo b/c I didn't do all of the things that everyone else did.
Sometimes I don't want to know that my high school classmate ran 8 miles before 9AM. Sometimes I don't need to know that you make so much $, or that your house is new, or recorated, or it is spic and span, or that you spent $30 on groceries, or that you made 938 batches of cookies for the homeless. LOL
I worry that sometimes we are airbrushing our "lives" in these forms of media. Putting on a show, to make people think that our lives are like Leave it to Beaver. I know I am definately guilty of only painting the "glorious" looking picture sometimes.

I really need to stop comparing myself to the "rest of the world". I am proud and thankful (truly thankful) for the life God has given me and my family. I am SO blessed.

But sometimes I just want to rebel and be "Real". I want to not only write about the good things that happen, but about the "real life" things that happen.

I want to tell the world that right now there are lady bugs swarming my bathroom window, that I can see the dust on top of my fan, that my dog is barking at the neighbors, that it looks like the PetSmart toy department exploded on our living room floor, that I spent $120 at Wal-mart last night, the cat puked on the carpet upstairs, my refrigerator needs cleaned out and that I plan on sleeping in until 8 AM tomorrow.
And you know what? We're still alive! I guess what I am saying is, I am going to stop making myself feel like I have to measure up to the pictures in the magazines or the facebook updates, or the blogs. I'm going to do the best I can and I'm just going to be me. And it makes me happy.

Anyone else ever feel like there is pressure to "measure up to"?

4 comments:

  1. Great post, Jess. I feel the same way (with both blogging and those pictures in the magazines). I needed to hear that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You totally read my mind! Everything you said is true. As much as I love technology, it is amazing how it is warping us into believing that we have to be perfect in every sense of the word. I think it is very important to be truthful and humble, and it is something I need to work on in myself. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. It's important to keep things in perspective. Remember that no one is perfect. We all struggle in some area. (sometimes more than others)
    On the other hand I think some people share some of the things they share, because they are trying to help others. It's an area they struggled with and by putting out there for the world to see.....they can share their trials.
    Again I know some people have to toot their own horn to be happy, to make people like them, to make themselves look good. But...
    All in all I think you are right, we all need to be more real, not afraid to show our struggles and hurts. But we shouldn't assume someone is being a jerk, b/c in their own way they really might be trying to help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. used to struggle in comparing my life to others....I have learned not to bother. I do love to read all the great things in people's lives, it inspires me to want to do better. I think it all in the perspective you read it. Most of the blogs I read are inspiring and very "real" at the same time.

    ReplyDelete